Strava launches Local Legends, a new way to compete on segments
Get the most efforts in 90 days and earn the laurel crown
SAN FRANCISCO – July 15, 2020 – Strava, the leading subscription service for athletes, is excited to announce a new way to compete on segments: Local Legends.
Local Legends is celebrating grit, discipline and passion. To become a Local Legend and earn a laurel crown, athletes must log the most efforts on a segment over 90 days.
The 90-day competition period is a rolling window, measured back from the current day. The path to the Local Legend throne can change daily, with old efforts expiring and new ones taking their place. Athletes will have to defend their laurel crown if they want to keep it.
Most but not all segments are currently part of the Local Legends competition. Athletes can easily find where laurels are up for grabs by using the Segment Explorer on the mobile app.
Athletes can also check how they rank on a segment by tapping into the segment details screen to see total efforts for themselves and the current Local Legend, plus a bar chart of all athletes to give an idea of how stiff the competition is.
After an early release to athletes in select parts of the US including Strava’s home states of California and Colorado, Local Legends is now live in the Strava mobile app in the US, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Japan and Brazil.
Bringing Local Legends to segments across the rest of the world along with a web experience for viewing Local Legends on desktop are in the works. Rules and the segments that have Local Legend leaderboards may change as Strava continues to improve the feature based on athlete feedback.
To learn more about Local Legends and the more than 50 other new features and updates released so far this year, visit the Strava blog. Download Strava for iOS and Android now, and subscribe for the complete Strava experience. For more information on Strava, or to start a free trial visit www.strava.com.
Strava is the leading subscription service for athletes. As the platform at the center of connected fitness, Strava’s mobile apps and website connect millions of active people every day. All athletes belong on Strava, no matter where they live, which sport they love or what device they use. Join the community at strava.com.
Our favorite stats:
- 20 activities uploaded every second, 19 million every week
- 300+ compatible mobile phones and GPS devices
- More than 3 billion activity uploads
- 180 employees, most in San Francisco with more in Denver, CO, Hanover, NH and Bristol, UK
- 1,100+ professional athletes are on Strava
- 1 million athletes join every 30 days
- More than 60 million Strava athletes upload activities from 195 countries
- 4.9 billion Kudos given between athletes last year
- Over 4 million photos shared per week on Strava
- 85 million comments and Kudos given by Strava athletes per week
- 300+ communities making commuting better with Strava Metro
- Make the most of your sport with a Strava subscription