Strava Announces Partnership with Mapbox, Upgrades Static Maps for Athletes Worldwide
Custom maps developed collaboratively by Strava and Mapbox provide enhanced detail with athletes’ needs in mind
SAN FRANCISCO – October 30, 2019 – Strava, the world’s largest sports participation platform with over 46 million athletes and a million more joining every 30 days, today announced a major product enhancement that all athletes will notice: new global static maps for all activities built in conjunction with Mapbox.
Strava’s new map is a completely custom product, created by engineers and designers from Strava and Mapbox, and tailored to highlight the details that runners and cyclists care about.
Most maps are optimized for cars, but Strava’s new maps purposefully de-emphasize car-oriented features like highway numbers in favor of trail names, elevation contours and other visual enhancements including improved drawing of GPS tracks using smoothing algorithms.
“We are thrilled to share this significant upgrade with our members, with more terrain detail and improved accuracy and aesthetics of how GPS tracks appear.” says James Quarles, Strava CEO. “Mapbox is a mapping leader, and we’re excited about the athlete-optimized map that our two teams created for the global Strava community.”
“I run with Strava wherever I am in the world and the new Strava experience is next level. The maps are gorgeous, and it’s been pushing me to share these stunning routes even more because they look that good. So pumped to discover new runs as Strava’s community shares their trails and I find new places to push myself even farther,” says Eric Gundersen, CEO of Mapbox.
Download Strava for iOS and Android now, and upgrade to Strava Summit to customize your experience and enjoy added features. For more information on Strava visit www.strava.com.
Strava is the social network for athletes. As the platform at the center of connected fitness, Strava’s mobile apps and website connect millions of active people every day. All athletes belong on Strava, no matter where they live, which sport they love or what device they use. Join the community at strava.com.
Our favorite stats:
- 20 activities uploaded every second, 15 million every week
- 300+ compatible mobile phones and GPS devices
- More than 2 billion activity uploads
- 200 employees, most in San Francisco with more in Denver, CO, Hanover, NH and Bristol, UK
- 1,100+ professional athletes are on Strava
- 1 million athletes join every 30 days
- More than 47 million Strava athletes upload activities from 195 countries
- 3.6 billion kudos given between athletes last year
- Over 4 million photos shared per week on Strava
- 85 million comments and Kudos given by Strava athletes per week
- 130+ communities making commuting better with Strava Metro