Strava Milestones: 50 Million Athletes and 3 Billion Activity Uploads
Global community adds 1 million new athletes every 30 days; members uploaded 1 billion activities in the last 13 months
SAN FRANCISCO – February 4, 2020 – Strava athletes shared more than 1 billion activities in the last 13 months, surpassing 3 billion total activity uploads to the social fitness community since its founding in 2009.
More than 50 million athletes have joined Strava, and today about 1 million new athletes join each month. As its global athletic community grows, the pace of activity uploads from Strava members has also accelerated, reaching 19 million uploads per week in 2019 (Year In Sport).
Since crossing the 2 billion activity mark in late 2018, Strava’s seen average monthly uploads increase by 40%. This includes 59% more activities uploaded by women, 46% more run activity uploads, and 41% more uploads from outside of the United States.
“We founded Strava to connect athletes, through our technology, to the feeling of camaraderie that comes from being on a team,” says Michael Horvath, CEO and co-founder of Strava. “I’m grateful to the millions of athletes around the world who have joined the Strava community and have now uploaded over 3 billion runs, rides, swims, hikes and other activities. Our employees wake up every day obsessing over our athletes, eager to keep building the innovative experiences that connect them to what motivates them and fuel their active lives.”
Strava celebrated its 1 billionth uploaded activity in May 2017, eight years after its founding, and then saw its 2 billionth activity uploaded just 18 months later, in December 2018. Cycling and running are the most popular activities athletes share, but Strava supports over 30 activity types.
Segments, one of Strava’s most popular features, are sections of road or trail created by members where athletes can compare times and compete for spots on the segment leaderboard.
Strava athletes have created nearly 20 million segments all-time, with 3 million new segments created since December 2018 when the 2 billionth activity was uploaded. About 25,000 new segments are created every month.
Strava is the social network for athletes. As the platform at the center of connected fitness, Strava’s mobile apps and website connect millions of active people every day. All athletes belong on Strava, no matter where they live, which sport they love or what device they use. Join the community at strava.com.
Our favorite stats:
- 20 activities uploaded every second, 19 million every week
- 400+ compatible mobile phones and GPS devices
- More than 3 billion activity uploads
- 180 employees, most in San Francisco with more in Denver, CO, Hanover, NH and Bristol, UK
- 1,100+ professional athletes are on Strava
- 1 million athletes join every 30 days
- More than 50 million Strava athletes upload activities from 195 countries
- 4.9 billion kudos given between athletes last year
- Over 4 million photos shared per week on Strava
- 85 million comments and Kudos given by Strava athletes per week
- $59.99 a year to make the most of your sport with Strava Summit
- 300+ communities making commuting better with Strava Metro