Strava Upload Rate Surges 5X, Total Uploads Surpass 2 Billion
8 years to the first billion, 18 months to the next
SAN FRANCISCO – December 5, 2018 – Strava athletes shared more than one billion activities in the last 18 months, surpassing two billion total uploads.
In May of 2017, Strava celebrated its one billionth activity upload eight years after the company’s 2009 founding. Just 18 months later, Strava’s upload pace has increased fivefold. The social network for athletes now sees 20 activities uploaded every second, and adds one million new members every 30 days.
This rapid growth is credited to the impact of three groups on the platform: women, runners, and international athletes. Since crossing the one billion activity threshold, Strava has seen 33% growth in activities uploaded by women, 21% growth in run activity uploads, and 13% growth in uploads outside of the United States.
“We founded Strava in 2009 and invited our friends to join, hoping the word would spread,” says Michael Horvath, Strava co-founder and interim CFO. “The evolution of this community has been astonishing to watch. I’m deeply grateful that so many people from all over the world choose to share their athletic journeys and strive together.”
Download Strava for iOS and Android now, and upgrade to Strava Summit to customize your experience and enjoy added features. For more information on Strava visit www.strava.com.
Strava is the social network for athletes. As the platform at the center of connected fitness, Strava’s mobile apps and website connect millions of active people every day. All athletes belong on Strava, no matter where they live, which sport they love or what device they use. Join the community at strava.com.
Our favorite stats:
- 20 activities uploaded every second, 15 million every week
- 300+ compatible mobile phones and GPS devices
- 165+ employees, most in San Francisco with more in Denver, Hanover and Bristol
- 1,100+ professional athletes are on Strava
- 1 million athletes join every 30 days
- More than 36 million Strava athletes upload activities from 195 countries
- 3.6 billion kudos given between athletes last year
- Over 4 million photos shared per week on Strava
- 85 million comments and Kudos given by Strava athletes per week
- $7.99 a month to make the most of your sport with all 3 Summit Packs, or $59.99 a year
- 305+ communities making commuting better with Strava Metro
# # #