There is something to be said about the number of compelling nominations we received for the Leadville 100 entry giveaway. Over 400 people took the time to nominate friends, teammates, coaches, family members and leaders in their community for the opportunity to race in Colorado this summer. What struck us most are the unique, deserving stories that show these athletes are not only fit, but have a profound impact on the people around them.
We received a range of stories – from athletes who have overcome great challenges in life to those who channel their love of sport into providing opportunity for others. In the end, the following twelve athletes rose to the top.
- Jim Plitchta – North Muskegon, MI
- Keith Terada – Redwood City, CA
- Phil Fifer – Sebastapol, CA
- Sam Sandunsky – Tampa, FL
- Jason Miller – Denver, CO
- Jim Redquest – San Diego, CA
- Travis Messenger – Sandy, UT
- Andrea Kooiman – Mission Viejo, CA
- Jeff Miller – Corpus Christi, TX
- Luigi Dessy – Ponce, Puerto Rico
- Nicola Golunska – England, UK
- Trevor Davenport – Gilbert, AZ
In the weeks leading up to the race, we’ll share some of the stories that stood out. Our team looks forward to supporting these individuals and all other Strava athletes taking on 100 miles in Leadville this August.